Friday, September 12, 2008

Avenue of the Stars, Hong Kong


Today's first in the itinerary is the Avenue of the Stars and the Waterfront Promenade.

I wasn't really hot about Hong Kong movie stars, but it was the only tourist spot I can think of that I can pair with The Peak that wouldn't make me rush from one place to the next. I initially wanted to go to the Ngong Ping 360 but climbing the steps towards the Giant Buddha might be too time consuming and we might not be able to make it to The Peak by sun down. I wanted to take night photos of the city from The Peak and I just deemed it more important than Ngong Ping 360. I'll just have to try it then when I get a chance to go back to Hong Kong again.

Anyway, back to the Avenue of the Stars and the Waterfront Promenade.

Since our guesthouse was just a stone's throw away from the Jordan MTR station, my son and I took the MTR to get to the next station, Tsim Sha Tsui. There are a lot of tourist spots in this area such as the Museum of Art, the Space Museum, etc, etc, but all these fell short on my list of places to go to. I was more interested to make a "location check" of the Waterfront Promenade as it is the venue for the Symphony of Lights by 7:30pm. Again, it's all because of wanting to practice taking night photos.

It wasn't very hard to find the Avenue of the Stars. As soon as we got out of the Tsim Sha Tsui Station, there are a lot of signages pointing us to the right direction. The MTR system is also so effective that some of its exit points are connected to the underground levels of some shopping centers that we didn't have to go out and walk under the scorching heat of the sun. Pero lakad kiti lakad pa rin ang mga tiil! Gazh!

When we got to the Avenue of the Stars, it was a little bit disappointing. I was expecting ala-Hollywood style of Avenue of the Stars, but it was just a very simple waterfront promenade situated behind a shopping center, very much like our own promenade at the back of the SM Mall of Asia. Sure, "stars" are all lined up on the promenade but since Hong Kong actors doesn't ring a bell to me, it wasn't such a thrill being there.

Dying from the glaring heat of the sun, my son and I decided to go to The Peak earlier than what I planned. We stopped by at the Space Museum, not to check it out, but just to rest our legs from the long walk we just had. Sayang, nag-Ngong Ping 360 na lang sana kami.

0 comments: