Sunday, May 11, 2008

I am okay

Planning the specific color of your clothes during your travel is as important as planning the type and number of clothes to bring.

I learned this bitter lesson just last Holy Week when I drowned myself against the background in my very own solo pictures! Hehehe! And this didn't happen in just one picture. Being a junkie for anything that's brown, most of my clothes are brown (if not black and white) and when pictures are taken against the ruins of the temples of Angkor in Cambodia or the great Notre Dame Cathedral in Vietnam, I become a small speck of dirt on these structures. Just take this picture for example:

Hmmm... Can you see me? Hehehe!

But thanks to the ever reliable Adobe Photoshop. When things go wrong with your pictures, trust the Photoshop to make it all right. Daya?! Well, it's cheaper than going back to where I travelled from and have the picture taken again! Isasama ko pa si Os! Hehehe!

I don't intend on editing all of my travel photos. Just one, my one and only favorite photo among the almost 13,000 pictures we took during our Holy Week travel. It's the one above taken in front of the Notre Dame Cathedral in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. So, having a brother who's into computer graphics, I coerced him to "edit" this photo. And dyarannn... I can now see myself in my very own solo picture!

So, why is this photo such a favorite when I have better-looking (and thinner) solo photos in better-looking and more grandeur tourist spots?

Simple. This is me now. Os (the photographer) captured ever inch of how I really am these days... For me, this picture is a perfect visual description of my current state of being: happy and free as a bird, with God right behind me. Call me emotional or spiritual, whatever, but after years and years of being at the most difficult stage of my life, it is only now that I can finally say to myself that I am okay... emotionally, financially and spiritually.

And that's exactly what this photo is all about... "I am okay." Gone are the days when I see the world as mere black, when I was overwhelmed with melancholy and couldn't see beyond my grief and anger against Rhon...

Daughtry's song suits me right then:

I'm slowly getting closure I guess it's really over, I'm finally gettin' better
Now I'm picking up the pieces from spending all of these years putting my heart back together... 'Cause the day I thought I'd never get through, I got over you...

Happy Mother's Day to me :-)

0 comments: